• This tender is the largest food&beverage contract, by volume and billing, in the history of Spanish airports.
• Areas will operate 35 of the 55 establishments that Aena has put out to tender, and revalidates its position as the leading restaurant operator at the airport.
• The company has been awarded 70% of the sales estimated in the specifications, which allows it to exceed its current turnover at the airport, of more than €100 million per year, and to project sales of more than €1,000 million throughout 8 years of concession.
• Areas will invest more than €15 million to make Barajas its commercial showcase worldwide, with a completely renewed offer, based on well-established international brands and local concepts designed exclusively for the capital’s airport.
• With this concession, the Spanish company, which has its global headquarters in Barcelona, consolidates its position as a world leader in food&beverage and travel retail, present in 10 countries, and 20,000 employees serving more than 350 million travelers each year in nearly 2,000 establishments located in airports, motorways, train stations and leisure parks.
Barcelona, February 2nd, 2023
Areas has been announced as the main winner in the biggest food&beverage tender called by Aena at Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport, whose latest awards have been announced this morning.
In total, the Spanish company has been awarded 35 of the 55 points of sale that Aena has tendered, which in terms of turnover is equivalent to more than €100M per year in the first years, and close to €1,000M over the 8 years of concession, 70% of the total sales estimated in the tender specifications for the entire airport in this period.
Areas proposals have won in all terminals, where the company will be the main operator. In Terminals 1, 2 and 3, Areas will manage 18 points of sale, out of a total of 23. And in Terminal 4 and Terminal 4 SAT, Areas will manage another 17 points of sale out of a total of 32.
This way, Areas has managed to meet all the goals set for this tender, through a strategy focused on betting on the most emblematic establishments with the highest volume, being awarded all the food courts and the majority of airport burger joints, coffee shops and breweries.
Throughout this concession, the company forcasts an investment of more than €15 million with the aim of continuing to project the Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport as its worldwide commercial benchmark, with a unique offer, totally renewed, and based on the combination of renowned international brands and local concepts designed exclusively for Madrid airport.
Specifically, Areas’ offer for Madrid airport includes approximately 25% of brands with extensive experience in airport environments, both international (such as Burger King, Starbucks, Paul or La Place), and national (such as Rodilla and SantaGloria). Above all, 75% of them are totally new concepts for Madrid airport travelers, with breweries and gastronomic concepts from Madrid (La Barra de la Bientirada, La Ancha by chef Nino Redruello, Viandas, El Bareto, Le Coq, Churros Emilita or Tacos Manolitos); healthy and alternative concepts (Flax&Kale, Aloha Poke, Chia and Chök); ethnic proposals (Udon, Rossopomodoro and VyTA); and a selection of the company’s best own brands (StrEAT, Deli&Cia and Farine).
The renewal of the gastronomic offer will be carried out in phases, starting in May of this year and until June 2024. Closures of the different points of sale have been planned this way so that they have a minimum impact on travelers service.
Beyond the gastronomic offer, one of the notable elements of Areas’ offers has been the incorporation of technology and digital solutions to improve the customer experience, as well as the integration of sustainable development models in each of its proposals, minimizing the use of plastic and reducing food waste.
According to Óscar Vela, Areas CEO: “Being awarded the Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport tender again strengthens our position as a world leader in the food&beverage travel industry. We want to make Madrid airport our best commercial showcase and a benchmark for travel catering in the world”.
This concession consolidates the Barcelona-headquartered multinational company position as a global operator in food&beverage and travel relatil industry, with a presence in 10 countries and serving more than 350 million travelers each year. Currently, the Spanish multinational company not only leads food&beverage of the main airports, train stations and highways in Spain, but has also exponentially expanded its presence in transport infrastructures in the different countries in which it operates, specially in the United States, the market with the best growth prospects, and in which Areas is already operating in 9 airports.
International leader in food&beverage and travel retail. With presence in 10 countries, the company manages more than 2,000 restaurants and stores in Europe and America.
With a team of 20,000 people and locations in the main transport hubs in the world (airports, train stations, travel plazas in highways), as well as leisure parks, Areas provides service to more than 350 million customers every year.
Founded in 1968 in Barcelona, Areas is committed to offering high quality services to travelers. Since then, Areas has become a global benchmark operator in the industry, with a deep knowledge of the travelers’ needs and the widest range of restaurant concepts in the market.